[NCLUG] kppp + dynamic IPs

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Tue Jan 23 14:02:46 MST 2001

Hi,

One of my coworkers has a system using a dial-up connection with kppp.
The machine receives a dynamically assigned IP address.  I have to
remotely administer the system, so I have to call up and ask for the IP
address every time I want to do anything.

I thought it would be nice to have the system send me an email with the
IP address every time it establishes a new dial-up connection.  I know
this could be accomplished by just having it run /sbin/ifconfig ppp0 |
grep INET | mail dobbster at frii.com, perhaps in a shell script.

Can I do this using kppp's login script capability?  (I've tried, but
failed.)  If not, how else could I force it to run a shell script after
it establishes the dial-up connection?

Thanks,

Mark