[NCLUG] uncompress error - corrupt file

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Jul 9 10:36:31 MDT 2001

> Which leads to (2) the file appears to be corrupt. I get:
>
> insize:1029 posbits:3042 inbuf:8E 44 77 B5 54 (2)
> uncompress: corrupt input
> cpio: premature end of file

> Can anyone suggest a way to repair these files? Probably what
> happened is that sometime between then and now I forgot to pay
> attention to binary vs. ascii encoding or some equally dumb
> stunt and now I'm picking up the pieces.

Uhhh... were these compressed on a machine of different endianess or
maybe a different character set (EBSDIC or whatever)?  Is it possible
that cpio didn't store in a platform-neutral format?
Are the files themselves probably undamaged? That is, is the data safe,
just encoded strangely?
I understand that one of the problems with GZip as opposed to bzip2 is
that bzip2 is recoverable, whereas gzip will just die. I'm not sure
about cpio and COMPRESS, though, so I'm just throwing out ideas, here...