[NCLUG] Linux/Att cable modem....

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Jun 7 09:59:00 MDT 2001

> I apologize for the rant, but, this it's responses such as this that
keep
> me from interacting on lists such as this more often.

I fear the nature of E-mail misses the ironic bend to my E-mail.  My
connection mysteriously went away because... uh ... I never read
my @Home e-mail.  They even called me on the phone, but ... uh ... I
don't check the home voice mail all that often, either.

For what it is worth, then, I could never get dhcpc to return an
address,
and eventually had to call support to get my new IP.  But then, my
outage
coincided with a 'laser group outage' as well, so things were allll
confused.

> I asked a simple question "has anybody here done this...." and answers
> that affect are extremely helpful. Telling us to "re-read" our email
does
> nothing.

I have learned that you make no assumptions about computer support.  It
may be insulting, but the first question a tech should ask is "Is is
plugged in?".  It is amazing how often that works...  So in the same
way, I found it amazing that your question generated a half dozen
replies, and yet nobody mentioned the content of the E-mail.  ESPECIALLY
in a group of people that cherish a static IP address.

I'm sorry if it seemed waspish, but it looked like people missed
something.  I know I did.  I had the oil-soaked rags out, ready to march
on the AT&T offices until I actually /read/ my own E-mail and found that
they would let me keep my static address.  I had hoped to keep a number
of people from doing the same.