[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 12:53:57 MDT 2001

 Does anyone know of a simple way to determine whether your system is
running 32 or 64-bit? Under Solaris this can be done using "isainfo -v"
but I've not been able to find any similar method under Linux yet.

 The application for this is some wrapper scripts we use need to be modified
to include Linux in them and making some decisions based on the bit level
of the running system is required. I know that it's all 32-bit (except for
alpha) at the time being but with Itanium being available this year it will
be a factor.

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.