[NCLUG] simple way to determine 32 or 64 bit?

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Jun 11 14:59:52 MDT 2001

Thus spake thorson at aster.com:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, S. Luke Jones wrote:
>
> > Mike Loseke wrote:
> > >  So you can kinda see what I was hoping for (like cat/proc/kernel/bit or
> > > something).
> >
> > I'm 64-bit impaired myself.
> > Is that in the boot messages? Could you find it there?
> >
> > How about /proc/cpuinfo? Are there any tell-tales there?
>
>    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>    processor  : 0
>    vendor     : GenuineIntel
>    family     : IA-64
>    model      : Itanium
>    revision   : 2
>    archrev    : 0
>    features   : standard
>    cpu number : 0
>    cpu regs   : 4
>    cpu MHz    : 666.682000
>    itc MHz    : 666.682000
>    BogoMIPS   : 664.79
>
> Does this help?

 No, in fact the fields looked to be named differently:

-------------------------
serpico$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 333.351
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips        : 665.19

 Whee. :-)

--
   Mike Loseke    | If at first you don't succeed,
 mike at verinet.com | increase the amperage.