[NCLUG] RE: Hard Disk Configuration

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Fri Jun 22 11:00:43 MDT 2001

"John Purser" writes...

> Just rebooted to an MS-Dos 6.2 Disk and ran Fdisk.  The output is (Rotated
> to format):
>
> Partition:		1		2
> Status:		A
> Type:			Non Dos	Ext Dos
> Volume Label:
> Megabytes:		55		3219
> System				3
> Usage:		1%		100
>
> Looks like I've got about 3 gigs in an extended Dos partition.  I had
> installed a workstation install of Red Hat 7.0 earlier but that went in on a
> brand new disk.
>
> Suggestions?

1.) Use fdisk under Linux. Its much nicer and cfdisk is even nicer. Besides
who wants to run DOS?
2.) Did the RedHat 7.0 install prompt you to partition the disk or did it just
do it/use the existing partitions?
3.) When doing a new install I almost always blow away the existing partitions
and make new ones. You might try that.
4.) How do you know it's a 40GB disk?
5.) Are you sure the disk you're looking at is right one? Is there more than
one disk in the system?

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org