[NCLUG] wireless ethernet

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Jun 26 23:05:11 MDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:10:30PM -0600, Eric Brunson wrote:
>I'm not totally up to speed with the terminology, but if Ad-hoc means
>several machines working in a peer-to-peer sort of mode, I did some

It does.

>digging and found that if you comment out two lines in the wvlan_cs.c
>file in the pcmcia-cs wireless modules the Linksys cards will talk to

I've once gotten Ad-hoc working with the Prism II chipset, and once failed
to...  Usually, it's just as easy to carry our little AP around...

>line 1169 and 1170 in pcmcia-cs-3.1.26/wireless/wvlan_cs.c:

Actually, I'm using the orinoco driver now.  It's MUCH more stable, and
doesn't lock up my machine under heavy net use like the wvlan_cs driver
did.  You might want to check it out -- it's in the latest 2.4 kernels.

>I got my network running at home as simply as installing that hacked
>module, running Bastille-Linux on my firewall machine to secure it and
>set up NAT, a little pinch of essence and *BAM*, I'm surfing from the

You might also want to look at LIDS -- the Linux Intrusion Detection
System.  It can do some really neat things...

>I've borrowed a third Linksys card and will try it out with the
>Linksys PCI adapter in my desktop this weekend.  I don't know if the
>pcmcia stuff will recognize it, but if anyone's interested I'll let
>you know how it goes.

I know Luke was interested in the PCI/PCMCIA adapters...  By now, he may
already have an answer...

 Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest
 of the week debugging Monday's code.  -- Christopher Thompson