[NCLUG] Suns (was: more than 7 email ids with @Home?)

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Mar 1 11:08:12 MST 2001

> You might want to look at their new SunBlade 100. The basic box
> configuration will retail at just $995, with a USPARC IIe hummingbird. Of
> course, you'll have to run Solaris 8 and the benchmarks aren't exactly
> great, but hey! It's a workstation for less than a grand.

But I already /have/ five Sun workstations... they were all under a
grand. Ummm... they were actually all /free/...  Okay, so the fastest
one is 40MHz...Still, its good enough for my personal web/mail/sql
server!  It'll fit on a rack shelf nicely, too.

For the curious, the SS2 was a giveaway at last year's DefCon show.
I won it during Hacker Jeopardy.  The hard drive in it was dead, but
the stickers say it came from JPL.  Its now running NetBSD, Apache,
PHP, MySQL, and a couple other choice processes.  Its pokey, and
it takes most of the day to build MySQL, but its still a neat little
machine.
Oddly, I don't have a monitor for it (or at least, not one that works) but
you can talk to it through the serial port until you get SSH on it.

The other 4 Suns are big and slow.  You can get glamor-shot-like pics
of one of them at these links:
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/sparc_vme/sun4_330.jpg
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/sparc_vme/sun4_330_card.jpg
(I was bored, had a digital camera, and considered selling them on EBay
until I remembered about that whole shipping thing...)