[NCLUG] dhcp and @home

Sean Roberts sean623 at home.com
Fri Mar 16 10:14:31 MST 2001

@home tech support is nearly useless, especially for linux.

>  I did get it working with the static IP and hopefully I can convince them
> to let me keep it but they confirmed again to me that they are going to try
> to take them all away and make everyone use dhcp where possible.

my dhcp works great with linux.  The server requires you to supply
your hostname when you request an IP address.  Try

/sbin/dhcpcd -d -h <hostname> eth0

the -d flag just syslogs stuff, so it's optional, but can help with
trouble shooting.  <hostname> is the (terribly boring) hostname they
gave you (something like c34232-a).  It has been several months since
I first set mine up and I remember I had to screw with it for a little
while to get it to work right, you may have to use the -s ipaddress
flag the first time i.e. /sbin/dhcpcd -d -h <hostname> -s <ip> eth0
where <ip> is the original ip address they gave you.  check man dhcpcd
for further info.  Once you get it working you will probably have to
modify your startup script so that it starts correctly at boot time.
I am using SuSE 6.4 and had to modify /sbin/init.d/dhclient to include
the -h <hostname> stuff.  Your milage may vary.

Hope this helps.
--
Sean Roberts