[NCLUG] booting from AHA-2940UW & scsi disk only

Daniel Herrington daniel.herrington at home.com
Sat Mar 24 17:43:08 MST 2001

By the way, Gary, thanks for the info on /etc/pam.d/*.
I checked the files, and they all appear to be identical
to the ones in the fresh install I did.  Any other ideas?

Anyway, I want to be able to boot from a SCSI drive,
and I've got my BIOS set to boot from A,EXT,C (where
EXT is defined as SCSI).  This is an Abit BP6 board.
(I also tried EXT,A,C if I remember right.)

I've never mastered booting from SCSI completely
without any help from a boot floppy or an IDE disk's
LILO.  I've got the AHA-2940 set to boot from
device 0, which is where I have my disk attached.
But it just sits there after the BIOS start-up screen
and does nothing... unless I put a boot disk in the floppy
drive and tell it root=/dev/sda1.  I noticed that Redhat
doesn't give you the option of installing LILO to the
MBR of /dev/sda.  It only lets you put LILO on the first
partition, i.e., /dev/sda1.  Is this because there's no such
thing as an MBR on a SCSI drive?  If so, then how do I
get it to boot?

Thanks,
   Daniel