[NCLUG] help, network connections

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu May 10 16:52:48 MDT 2001

	can't telnet, or ftp, or anything else. I've changed hosts.deny to be
	empty and hosts.allow to be ALL:ALL. Is there anything else I should
	change?

Make sure you actually have the servers installed and running.

if a RedHat derivative:
	#  rpm -q -a | egrep "ftpd|telnet"
	telnet-0.10-31
	wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x

In earlier versions of linux you should see in /etc/inetd.conf:

    ftp   	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.ftpd -l -a
    telnet	stream  tcp 	nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	in.telnetd

In later versions with xinetd:

	[root at bass /root]# chkconfig --list
	xinetd based services:
		telnet:		on
		wu-ftpd:	on
if off use :

	# chkconfig telnet on

or whatever for the flavor of ftpd you are running.