[NCLUG] " . . . a name that is in itself genius . . . "

bill ehlert bill_ehlert_lists at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 01:06:17 MST 2001

http://netscape.zdnet.com:80/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2820858,00.html

  http://www.lindows.com

 has a name that in itself is genius. It's
software that combines Linux and Windows without
violating any trademark or copyright--although I
bet Microsoft will sue at some point. The concept
is to make a cheap OS that runs both Linux and
Windows code, but that looks and runs like
Windows. The Lindows concept was dreamed up by
MP3.com entrepreneur Michael Robertson, and is
encountering skepticism. Nobody is taking it too
seriously except me. I think Lindows might fly if
it can conquer one simple roadblock, and that's
running Microsoft Office 97, 2000, and XP. If
Lindows can run these versions of Office, then
look out below. Bombs away.

OS is that there is a 20-person team working on
it, not a 20,000-person team.

 Starting with the base Linux OS gave the Lindows
team a nice head start, after which all the team
had to do was translate Windows app-to-OS hooks.
The open-source WINE project helped out there.

  . . .

possible. Even if Lindows comes close to success,
the product could beget the massive transition
that Microsoft perpetually fears.