[NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed again.

M Butcher mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Mon Nov 5 21:50:53 MST 2001

Well, all I can say is that I have no idea why it would be that slow. I would
guess that a bunch of extra stuff got started.

Mandrake was originally RH Linux with KDE as the default desktop. SInce then
(6.0) it has branched out significantly. It's pretty much a different distro.
Like Mr. Dwyer noted, the main _similarity_ now is that they both use RPM.

Some of the more obvious differences:
- different kernels, compiled with  different options.
- KDE is still the default on Mandrake.
- Mandrake remains aimed at claiming the desktop space. Red Hat still seems
to be focused mainly on servers and devices.
- Mandrake Soft added a number of packages that they developed, from
management GUIs to the Aurora framebuffer stuff.
- Mandrake supposedly has a much easier install then RH... however, that only
seems to be the case if you use the default install... scrolling down a long
list of packages to pick the ones you really want seems to be about  the same
in either one ;-)