[NCLUG] MegaRaid fails at boot?

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Fri Nov 9 15:13:06 MST 2001

"Rich Young" writes...

> Hi all,
> 	I'm trying to get a server set up for home use, and I'm having a proble
> with my RAID card.  It's an HP NetRAID, which RH recognizes as an AMI
> MegaRAID.  It has its own little BIOS that kicks in after the motherboard
> bios is done scanning the IDE channels. Sometimes, the RAID BIOS fails to
> kick in, and the whole machine hangs -- no LILO, no nuthin'.  This behavior
> seems truly random -- no apparent relation to temperature, time of day,
> phase of moon, or how lovingly I manipulate the power switch.  Any ideas?

- Make sure the card is seated properly
- Make sure the cache ram is installed properly
- Try a different slot in case you're having mobo problems
- Try updating the system BIOS
- Try updating the card BIOS

Once you get it working...

If that card is a 1M or 2M you need to be using either a 2.2 kernel or 2.4.9
or newer. The firmware in those cards doesn't work right with 64bit pci.
Workarounds were added to the driver in the 2.4.8, and 2.4.9 timeframe, and
2.2 doesn't support 64bit pci.

Good luck,

--
Matt Taggart