WinModems (Was [NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux)

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Nov 11 23:36:46 MST 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 05:41:24PM -0700, Bryan Stillwell wrote:
>LTWinmodem: Cheap and surfs the web just fine if you're stuck without
>            anything better.  Some extra setup is needed.

As I said, I *LIKE* Lucent winmodems.  They give faster connections and
lower latency than regular modems I've used.  When I'm stuck needing a
modem, that is...  The last several long trips I've taken I've used CDPD
over the POTS modem just so I could be wireless...

>Internal Non-Winmodem: Probably your best bet if you have to play games
>                       with a modem and it doesn't have the latencies of
>                       the serial port.

Eh?  I thought they still used a regular UART and still had the normal
serial conversion, it was just that all the logic was on one board...  I
can't remember the last time I used a COMx internal modem...

 Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no
 matter where you go, there you are.  -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_