[NCLUG] free windows ssh client

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Tue Nov 20 11:08:46 MST 2001

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> Does anyone know of a free Windows-based ssh client I can use to log
> in from my dad's Win98SE machine to my linux box to check email?  Do I
> need to generate a key or take one with me on a floppy?

Actually, I'm rather fond of TTSSH.  It is TeraTerm (a very good
terminal emulator that does serial and telnet, too) with a SSH-1.5
client tacked on to it.  Mind you, it cannot do SSH-2.0.  But I find it
to be very useful.

TTSSH's home is here.  There is a link to go get TeraTerm from it.
http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html

You might also find this useful: WinSCP is a scp client for windows.
(Suprise!)  It is a little fiddly, but it works well enough.  Oddly, it
has the PuTTY libs built in...
http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/

FINALLY, you might check out the Java SSH applet.  I've considered
dropping one on my web server, so I can talk to it securely from
anywhere without downloading stuff.  I haven't tried it, yet, though.
http://www.appgate.org/products/mindterm/