[NCLUG] CDROM symbolic link

jkemper at prhc.net jkemper at prhc.net
Tue Nov 20 11:29:56 MST 2001

Last night I installed a CD-RW drive in my linux box (Mandrake 8.1) for the
first time. I removed the existing CD-ROM drive, so the CD-RW is the only
CD drive.  I edited the appropriate "append= " line in lilo.conf, installed
cdrecord and mkisofs, rebooted and I was burning CDs just fine. My problem
is that now that my cdrom is operating in SCSI emulation mode, my symbolic
link /dev/CDROM needs to change to point to /dev/scd0, but I can't seem to
make this happen. If I delete /dev/CDROM, I don't get an error message, but
either it is not deleted, or else some process recreates it immediately. If
I run ln with the -f option to force the link to replace the existing one,
it completes successfully, but the link still points to the old location
when I check it.

Is there some daemon running which monitors and "fixes" these links if they
are broken/changed? Or am I just a brain-dead newbie? Personally, I think
the second is more likely. ;-)

Thanks,
Jason