[NCLUG] mouse question

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Nov 20 14:36:00 MST 2001

 So I'm sitting here fiddling with my X config. Lo and behold, my Logitech
Trackman Marble FX has an extra button which, one would assume, is used
for doing things of a scrolly nature. So I google around and find a very
useful page about doing scrolly things in X here:

 http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

 I follow some of the stuff there, finding out along the way that RedHat
7.1 (or the X guys) seem to have split the config file up into two chunks:
/etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Ok, cool, so now I have to
modify both of these files. Whatever.

 The problem, though, is that try as I might I can't seem to get the durn
wheel button (4, I would assume) to do anything. Even using "xev" I
register nothing on a click of that button (or unclick for that matter).
And this was after an X startup which acknowledged that it was using 5
buttons. All the Emulate3Button stuff was even turned off.

 Anyone have any experience with this? The mouse is a Logitech Trackman
Marble FX (PS/2). I even cleaned out the lint traps. :-P

--
                  | Look not backward in anger,
   Mike Loseke    | nor forward in fear,
 mike at verinet.com | but around with awareness.