[NCLUG] Whistling computer

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Thu Nov 29 08:30:38 MST 2001

Thus spake J. Paul Reed:

> Gang:
>
> Here's an odd question: just recently, my computer has started...
> whistling.
>
> I think it's an interface card (probably the video card) because it only
> starts (and immediately stops) after xscreensaver has been on for awhile...
> I think it has to do with going into a certain power saving mode.

 Rip the cover off and induce whistling. Then start applying slight finger
pressure to fans and devices. Could be a bad fan.

 My shiny new 1.7GHz Xeon here at work kicks the CPU fan up to full when
the load hits 1 for more than 30 seconds or so, especially when xscreensaver
kicks on and does some OpenGL funkiness. Even though it's under the desk
it makes a hell of a racket - overrides the noisy Ultra2 sitting on the
desk much closer to earshot too.

--
   Mike Loseke    |  It's pudding time, children!
 mike at verinet.com |                     -- Primus