[NCLUG] Whistling computer

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Nov 29 11:20:01 MST 2001

Mike Loseke wrote:
> Thus spake Michael Dwyer:
> > mike cullerton wrote:
> > > no, but one time on the way back from a dead show, the fuel pump on my vw
> > > bus stopped pumping and started making a noise like that. tapping it with a
> > > mallet got me back on the road. turns out the pump was dieing and i had to
> > > buy a new one soon after. not sure if there's any wisdom there or not.
> > >
> > > have you tried the obvious like moving the card to a different slot or using
> > > a different card if possible.
> >
> > Or hitting your card with a hammer?
>
>  Seeing as I'm the tanker on the list, I'm kind of ashamed that I wasn't
> the first to come out with the "hit it with a hammer" solution first. I
> must be getting mellow or something. :-)

Ob Bad-Old-Days Reference:  Does the word "sticktion" bring a smile
to your face?  Do you remember carefully and lovingly dropping MFM
hard drives onto to workbench to try to break the frozen heads free?

Ob Sticktion Story: At the community college lab in my home town,
they had a whole bunch of the old all-in-one Macintoshes -- SE, SE30,
Plus, etc.  One of them had a HDD that failed.  Instead of replacing
it, the tech opened up the case, opened up the hard drive, turned the
machine on, spun the platters manually to get it started, then
carefully replaced all the covers.
"There.  Now don't turn this machine off ever again."
Hey, it worked!