[NCLUG] bash alias

joshua at fitsnips.net joshua at fitsnips.net
Wed Oct 17 17:06:15 MDT 2001

This is really odd.  I assumed it would be:

alias "xm=xemacs $1 &"

but that does not work.  Now if I leave off the: &
the substitution works great.  Would love to see how
you guys solve this one.  Also anyone know why adding
& on the end changes the command?

Joshua

Quoting "Aaron D. Johnson" <adj at ccltd.com>:

> In message <15310.1310.289581.54060 at harrier.ftc.agilent.com>, Daniel
> Herrington writes
> > I use tcsh most of the time.  I have an alias for xemacs so that I can
> > just type "xe <file>" and it starts xemacs and puts it in the
> > background.  The alias I use for this is the following:
> >
> > alias xe  'xemacs \!* &'
> >
> > How would I do the same thing in bash?
>
> I'd do:
>
>     xe () { xemacs $* & }
>
> Which makes xe a shell function rather than an alias, but it works
> just the same.

For blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity. -- Constitution of the United States of America
Liberty -- A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference