[NCLUG] Re: OT: my mom is a geek!

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Sun Oct 21 11:40:09 MDT 2001

> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:38:59 -0600
> From: mike cullerton <michaelc at cullerton.com>
> To: NCLUG <nclug at nclug.org>
> Subject: [NCLUG] OT: my mom is a geek!
>
> i love this :)

> her mail)
>
> btw, have y'all seen the news on slashdot about kernel bugs?
>

>  -- mike cullerton
>
> ----------
> From: Marie Cullerton
>
> I have been on and off all day and have not noticed any problems. Love this
> DSL.  I hear when I get a message and check to see if it's important.
>
> Mom

And mine, while highly technical in chemistry, biology, and physics, just
uses a few simple things on a computer and doesn't like to do email at
all. We're planning on giving her a notebook that we don't use that's
better than the notebook she has now (which was another of our old
ones). However, before I've set her up with Microslop stuff as she's used
that before. This time I'm thinking of giving her a Linux system. With the
latest StarOffice, she'll have compatible office stuff. The only things
I'm concerned about are printing and the dialup piece that comes with
RedHat, rp3. rp3 worked great on my system for a couple of weeks, but then
crapped out partially. The simple dialup part, RH dialer, stopped
working. However the dialup configure app would let me dialup after I took
down my ethernet config via ifconfig.

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B