[NCLUG] Planning for Install Fest and Demo Day, Saturday November 3rdd

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Thu Oct 25 09:28:47 MDT 2001

 I am no longer associated with CSU or the Student Center there but I can
probably shed some light on this.

 The $25 fee is probably charged by the Event Planning Office (which
coordinates the scheduling of events in the Lory Student Center) because
either they felt they needed to charge something for it as a line item, or
the director of the student center told them to do it.

 I used to work in the "computer office" there at the student center and
am probably responsible for most of the wiring in the walls - wait, scratch
that, don't blame me. :-) When I left many moons ago, there were a limited
number of switch/hub ports and not all of them in the building could be
connected at the same time. Thus, the Event Planning Office had to
coordinate with us when to connect which rooms and for how long. I don't
remember us ever specifically charging for it at the time though. It might
still be this way (as to limited number of ports).

 ACNS isn't involved in the ports inside the student center, at least they
never were in the past. To the CSU LUG, do you guys have a faculty sponsor?
If not, you're not officially the type of organization that could get
those facilities for free (if I still understand the process correctly).
I did the first NCLUG installfest there for almost scratch but that's
because I was still in tight with the EPO and the guys in the computer
office. I don't know anybody there now though.

 As to the costs with "activating your port" in your dorm, that's not ACNS
either, that's the housing dept. A friend of mine worked there several
years ago and literally half of his, and his boss', time was spent hooking
up dorm ports, installing ethernet cards and related tasks. The associated
costs seem reasonable to me (in that any college fees are within the
"reasonable" realm). Heck, HP here in town charges their own departments
more than that PER MONTH for an ethernet port.

Thus spake Kennan Blehm:
> Well said. I'd like to know what exactly is involved with ACNS or whatever
> in activating an access point, and why they think they can justify
> charging 25 dollars for the day.
>
> I actually had to pay 50 dollars to have the point activated in my dorm
> room. And that was just one point. My roomate had to pay 50 dollars as
> well. Think aboot it. 100 dollars per room every year. We're talking about
> almost 50,000 + dollars made at the beginning of the year just activating
> network points.
>
> Can any network guru's out here let me know if this is justified. I mean,
> I think it should be covered in the ungodly amount we pay for tuition,
> fees, room and board. I *really* hope this isn't another, "well, the
> people out there don't know any better, so we can charge whatever we want"
> scenario.
>
> -Kennan
>
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, shaggydan wrote:
>
> > So, lemme get this streight: We all go to the university, we pay our
> > tuition and our student fees, we're an official club of CSU yet we have to
> > pay $25 for one lousey internet port?
> >
> > I'm not opposed to contributing money for it if necessary but I really
> > think it's bad form for the University not to simply give us what costs
> > them next to nothing for one afternoon.
> >
> > I spent a year in Greely at UNC and we had a president at that Univerity
> > called Hank Brown. Hank should never have had anything to do with
> > education because he tried to streamline the school and turn it into a
> > profit-making organization. However, the student council fought him and
> > they've now got him backed into such a corner that he can't even lift his
> > finger without wide spread student approval.
> >
> > Anybody ever wondered what the ASCSU does for us? We certainly pay a few
> > fees for it but so far I've not seen the benifit and I think they should
> > be out there protecting us from this sort of (admitedly small-scale)
> > reeming. I think it's time we started going to those meetings because
> > student council can do a LOT to make the school more accountable and make
> > them treat the students better.
> >
> > _____________________________________
> > Most men do not sing, most men cannot sing, most men will not stay where
> > others are singing if it be continued more than two hours. Note that.
> > 						--Mark Twain
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, paul hansen wrote:
> >

> > > I'll take care of getting CSU covered -- flyers, notices to professors,
> > > informing the CIS department (flyers and profs).
> > >
> > > A quick note, the network is costing us $25. Would it be cool if we all
> > > contributed $1 to cover this?
> > >
> > > I will also help in setting up and work one of the install stations. I'm
> > > going to talk to some other guys about helping with installs. I will
> > > update on this in the next couple of days.
> > >
> > > I'm downloading Redhat 7.2 right now, so I can provide those ISOs. Is
> > > someone going to be able to burn cds on request, or should we bring some
> > > burned cds?

> [...]

   Mike Loseke    | ... Logically incoherent, semantically
 mike at verinet.com | incomprehensible, and legally ... impeccable!