[NCLUG] Nifty Rackmount

Brian Stanback bhs at stanback.net
Thu Oct 25 11:06:23 MDT 2001

I have been working with hte Netra X1 and T1 systems - I also like the
fact that the console port is always on and one can perform power cycling,
etc. using LOMLite.

I am using a Sun Cobalt Qube 3 at my house, which acts as a firewall/dhcp
server/dns server/shoutcast server/web server/router/samba server/squid
cache/ftp server/ssh server/vpn server. As you can see it can preform a
wide variety of usefull tasks. (I have also gotten word that Sun Cobalt is
working on a wireless Qube) The web interface makes it so anyone's mother
could set it up using the web interface. The Qube3 also comes with the Adaptive Firewall, which seems to
do a very good job.

One concern I have with Cobalt is the fact that the version of Linux they
pack with the Qube and RaQs is basically a varient of RedHat 6.1 with
patches.