[NCLUG] New School Servers

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sat Sep 1 19:24:42 MDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 05:12:03PM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>  QMail is /powerful/.  But anyone who tells you that it is easy to
>configure and use might be on crack.  (My opinion.)  I've always used

I like it because I think it's a lot simpler than most.  The "INSTALL"
document with qmail is pretty easy to follow to get things set up.  I
didn't have much trouble following it when I did my first conversion from
sendmail.  I remember thinking that it was kind of weird at the time, but
now I think that qmail is much more unix-like in design -- small programs
taht do one thing well combining to make an MTA...

>  The guy who did QMail apparently did an FTP server called publicfile
>(I think) which qualifies as a KISS FTPd in my book.  From what I have

publicfile is an FTP and HTTP server.  I looked at it at one point, but
ended up going with his other program "anonftpd".  One thing I noticed
about it is that it's *REALLY* fast on login and initial commands.
However, it also uses a funky representation for permissions and Netscape
chokes on parsing it.  It also doesn't do regex stuff, so you can't say
"mget foo*".  Oh, and it doesn't sort the listing...

I hacked it to write better permissions, because we're using it on our site
and having Netscape return blank pages was not an option.  lftp doesn't
have much trouble with it though.

>I used FTP much anymore...  Otherwise, I just use wuftpd -- again, it
>comes in the box, so to speak.

Yeah, but the proftpd tar file builds an RPM, so...  We stopped shipping it
on KRUD because it was fairly broken for quite a while, but it's probably
time to put back in.

 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998