[NCLUG] dhcpcd and pump

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Fri Sep 14 11:56:26 MDT 2001

I can add a little to this, I guess...

> DHCPCD is supposed to be 100% compliant with the RFCs. I can't find
the home
> page right now, but I'm pretty sure that Freshmeat has a link to it.
The home
> page has (or had) some details on usage and compliance that might be
helpful.

DHCP is handled by the Internet Software Consortium:
http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/

> As far as I understand it, the problem is that you are trying to use
dynamic
> addressing to immitate static addressing, and that is gonna be tough.
Maybe
> you can talk the admin into marking an address as reserved for you,
which
> will ensure that your MAC address always gets the same IP, and that no
one
> else gets it. The client still uses DHCP, but the server knows that it
should
> always map a specific IP to the MAC.

I have used this method for some time, now.  It works great for
desktops,
but is somewhat annoying when laptop users swap around their PC cards...
For what it is worth, the config line in question looks a little like
this:

host foo {
   hardware ethernet 00:01:02:D5:88:f6;
   fixed-address     foo.example.com;
}

"foo.example.com" must either be in the /etc/hosts file, or be
resolvable by DNS. This additional option tells the clients to use the
hostname provided:

use-host-decl-names             on;             # Set hostname to given
name