[NCLUG] X, xhost, xauth, stuff like that...

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Fri Sep 14 20:55:50 MDT 2001

Tkil wrote:
>    http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2001.05/msg00151.html
>
> and a thread about how most current linux distributions turn off remote
> client access entirely (by not listening on TCP at all):
>
>    http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2001.08/msg00647.html

Thanks, Tony. I'm looking at it, because I'd like to have a better
understanding of how this stuff works. In the meantime, thanks to
everyone who pointed me at ssh. I was stunned to see that I can do
at least the limited stuff I asked about simply by executing

	luke at A $ ssh -X -C B
	luke at B $ gmp3enc

That's spiffy keen. Thanks, all you geniuses.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com