[NCLUG] USB support

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Apr 8 09:20:17 MDT 2002

Rich Young wrote:
>         So, does anyone have any clues what gives?  I'm running the 2.4 kernel,
> which is supposed to have USB support built in.  And there is stuff in the
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13/drivers/usb directory, which seems to indicate that
> it is.  I'm wondering about hardware explanations, which would suck, but at
> least I'd know.

Terribly sorry you're having trouble...  Since you cannot find those
folders, it would seem that your kernel /doesn't/ have USB built-in. It
could be that USB support is compiled as a module, and the module
required isn't loaded.

/sbin/modprobe -l   (or often 'lsmod') will show you what kernel modules
are loaded.  You can try loading a module and see if that changes
things...  Unfortunatly, I'm not sure which module to load.  I suppose
you can try:

/sbin/modprobe usb-core

and see if that does anything.  Finally, there may be some enlightenment
in the /etc/modules.conf file...