[NCLUG] hey all you DSL users

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Wed Apr 24 11:05:16 MDT 2002

There was a Qwest DSL outage last Saturday/Sunday from about 9:45PM (Intel
devices only) until 8:45AM.  CISCO devices were impacted from about 5AM
Sunday until it ended (probably due to Qwest work).  I logged about 3000
connection tries Sunday AM.

There were some Telnet exploit attempts on the Qwest side the two weekends
prior.  I don't know if it extended beyond FRII's class C's.  I logged about
20,000 on my C678 the first weekend and 8,000 the following weekend.  I
noticed the same thing on other C678's, but the count appears to be directly
related to the number of IP's attached to the account (each IP was tried
every 10 seconds).  I haven't seen this again since changing the Telnet port
numbers.  You can also disable the Telnet service.  The annoying part is
that it blocks any other Telnet access to the router as the maximum is one
and the timeout is 60 seconds.  The second weekend paralleled one of the NEN
outages, but there is no attribution that this caused the NEN outage.  I
just happened to notice that the Telnet hits and NEN outage ended very close
to the same time.

Yesterday's NEN outage was attributed to hardware and firmware.  NEN has had
two annoying network outages in the past few weeks and a localized Loveland
problem.  They've also responded reasonably well considering that much
hardware work is probably contracted locally.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley