[NCLUG] speakers/topics needed

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Wed Apr 24 15:10:49 MDT 2002

Hi Matt,

I have about 20hrs of lecture talks on performance engineering topics.
Includes real world examples spanning a number of architectures over
the last 30 years that I'm always willing to share. Much of it is from
an in-house class I used to teach, guest lectures in Computer Science
classes, and industry conference talks in the 1980's and 1990's.  Almost
all of it applies to Linux hosted systems, and other UNIX like systems
in use today. I also have some interesting studies and talks on network
engineering to vary the mix.

Most of the talks were written targeted at a mixed audience of design
engineers and non-technical managers to help describe why certain design
choices frequently used by the organizations are effective recipes to fail
once deployed in the field. Most end users, IT staff, managers, and
design engineers will walk away from the talks with food for thought
toward evaluating real world software, hardware, and architecture driven
performance problems they face every day.

I used to use some of the talks as fill when I ran the Bay Area Unix Users
group during the 1980's ... which was a much more technical group than NCLUG.
They were always a hit with the mostly heavy weight cross architecture UNIX
geeks, but also a number of less technical unix users too. The series is a
bit more core engineering targeted than the hands on focus in your call for
talks below, but given the nature of the NCLUG membership might be a good
fit anyway. Would be happy to do an intro talk, with follow-on's as requested.

have fun,
John Bass

	Hi NCLUG,

	We are looking for speakers and talk topics for the NCLUG monthly meetings.
	At HackingSociety tonight we came up with a list of topics we'd like to see;

	User topics
	-----------
	How to submit a bug report
	Using ssh
	Introduction to IP Networking
	iptables and the ip and net commands
	Care and feeding of Vim
	How emacs saved my life
	Setting up USB
	Why my MTA is the best
	Why my MUA is the best
	Web browser review

	Development topics
	------------------
	CVS
	make
	python

	As you know the talks are on the first Tuesday of the month at 6pm. Talks
	should be ~45minutes(+/- 15mins). You don't need to be an expert on the
	topic, just someone willing to do the research and give a talk.

	What talks would you like to see? Please reply with ideas.
	Who wants to give a talk? Send me private mail(beware replies go to the list)

	--
	Matt Taggart
	matt at lackof.org