[NCLUG] hey all you DSL users

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Wed Apr 24 22:38:51 MDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 09:13:03AM -0600, mike cullerton wrote:
>  the dsl troubles at frii are as you suspect, only new edge folks.

Yes, New Edge and QWest are different.  FRII rarely has outages on the
QWest lines in Fort Collins.  There was, of course, that Sunday about a
month ago where an OC-48 in Denver was cut and it took QWest around 8 hours
to get it repaired...  That only impacted Denver users though...

>  i'm guessing in the time i've had dsl, which has got to be around 5
>years now, i've been down maybe twice due to uswest/qwest and maybe
>never due to frii (once i stopped working there ;)

There was the, what, 8 hour outage shortly after you left FRII which was a
hardware problem on the redback...

FRII is mostly fine, particularly for a home user.  I've had "issues" with
them as a business user, but in general they're pretty good...  The only
thing to consider is that FRII's DSL is metered.  QWest can provide DSL
unmetered, which is pretty nice for a home use...  We really like the cable
modem, which we can download ISOs and stuff (at about 2x the rate of the
768kbps DSL), and don't have to worry what it'll cost...

Finally, the Cisco 675 you may still have around probably isn't going to
work on the new line.  They switched to a new protocol, which requires the
678...  We happen to have a spare 678 for a line we just got disconnected,
if you need to buy one.  We also have 3 675s laying around with the latest
firmware on them, if anyone can use them...  Mostly we're keeping them as
backup devices in case one fails...

 Follow the dream, not the competition.
                 -- Nemesis Racing Team