[NCLUG] Linux box as DSL router (was: hey all you DSL users)

Corey Snipes cds at peakpeak.com
Sat Apr 27 12:34:03 MDT 2002

> Finally, the Cisco 675 you may still have around probably isn't going to
> work on the new line.  They switched to a new protocol, which requires the
> 678...  We happen to have a spare 678 for a line we just got disconnected,
> if you need to buy one.  We also have 3 675s laying around with the latest
> firmware on them, if anyone can use them...  Mostly we're keeping them as
> backup devices in case one fails...

I'm about to be in this situation, moving from Boulder to Longmont.  I'm
told that the 675 won't do the kind of encoding/decoding that is needed
on my new line.  (Only a 678 will.)

I've run into a little anecdotal evidence that one *can* put an internal
DSL modem in a linux box, and use linux for the nat/routing, but I don't
know whether that'll work in my case, on my new line.

Anyone dealt with this?  I hear that intel makes an internal DSL modem
which will work on the new line, but I don't know the model #.  The
Linux Hardware DB on ZDnet has a pretty good review for a Bewan model,
but I have no idea whether it does the encoding/decoding I need...

tia,

 -cds