[NCLUG] Re: firewall nic config

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Mon Apr 29 06:39:06 MDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:46:08AM -0600, William Dan Terry wrote:
> > From: Matthew Wilcox <willy at debian.org>
> > Could you word-wrap please?  It makes your text easier to read.
>
> I always thought that word wrap was the responsibility of the receiving end, thus allowing the reader to optimize it for his viewer. Email doesn't have a prescribed width that I'm aware of, making the transmission of information a separate issue from the display of information. Forcing \n every so many characters just means that a wider viewer loses the benefit of width and still has to scroll just as much. I've been working under this premise for 17 years. Am I missing something?

Yes, basic netiquette?  A quick google search digs up
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/0963702513p61.html
or http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

While you have your web browser fired up, take a look at
http://nclug.org/pipermail/nclug/2002-April/003482.html
to see another reason why you should linewrap at a reasonable length.

> Some hosts inside do need to be reachable, hence the class C. However,
> the traffic they deal with is small enough that having them behind
> a firewall wouldn't change the firewall load significantly. So the
> protection they get from the firewal is worth it to me instead of having
> them in the DMZ.

Hmm.  Sounds like what you _really_ want is something like:

0-63 outside the firewall
64-127 inside the firewall, but with special holes
128-255 inside the firewall

which is fairly straightforward to set up.