[NCLUG] Please Help

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Apr 30 04:16:57 MDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:34:17AM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>I was never able to get PPTP to work for me.  This was almost two years
>ago, so things might be better by now, but I digress...  The quick thing

We've been able to set up PPTP and get it to work to a Linux box.  The
biggest barrier is Winders crappy error messages...

>Finally, for what it is worth, I found that for connecting two networks
>together, linux boxes running CIPE worked beautifully!  It wasn't useful

I'd also recommend CIPE.  There is a client for Winders (which I, not
suprisingly, haven't used), and it's pretty simple to deal with.  It's
slightly more complicated to use than vpnd (which just provides a tunnel
for SLIP data), but it does seem to work nicely.  vpnd is nice because you
don't have to build kernel modules to make things work.

I should modify vpnd to use UDP packets instead of TCP, so that it doesn't
melt down because of retransmits...

 Come see the violence inherent in the system!
 Help!  Help!  I'm being repressed!  -- Monty Python and the Holy Grail