[NCLUG] ISP suggestions

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Aug 3 17:37:45 MDT 2002

	I'm using another number, and it's been OK, so far, but I've noticed a
	couple of oddities that are somewhat like I was experiencing before... and
	I just don't even want to bother calling tech support because I've got
	better things to do with my time than arguing with them about whether or
	not I know what I'm doing.

	Later,
	Paul

Really smells like crosstalk/harmonic distortion problems in your voice line,
and the modem in cycling into retraining frequently, or just plain dropping off.

Doesn't sound like FRII's problem and assuming you are Quest's customer, you are
equally unlikely to get them to  fix the problem either (I spent several years
at it - both in Calif and Here in Colorado) - if the line meets voice standards,
then they have no obligation to fix the crosstalk or harmonic distortion problems
to obtain reliable internet service.

Your only luck there would be to sign up for one of Quests premium dialup services
and bitch at them for a while for the same problems - since it's their line, and
you are their customer they might even swap lines out to fix it or track the problem
a little more closely - when/if it gets fixed, then go back to the ISP of choice.

My dialup here was far worse - would not connect above 14.4 ... and dropped every
20 minutes - worse in the afternoons. After two years of fighting with US West
and several trips on their part to clear "static" problems, and breaking out the
Western Electric circuit quality test set - they refused to do anything more.

I tried ISDN - which was far worse experience, before starting CWX. The wireless
is far from a perfect network - but perfect in comparison to very bad dialup.

Good Luck,
John