[NCLUG] ISP suggestions

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sun Aug 4 16:18:11 MDT 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Frank Whiteley wrote:

> ICG and Qwest, not much choice, different set of issues.

Mmm... monopolies: they're not just for Microsoft anymore.

> The simple fact that all of the ICMP packets are returning would seem to
> indicate its a priority issue, rather then memory.  For example, all FRII
> ports are shared regionally, regardless of dial-pop.  There's no specific
> number allocated to Denver, Fort Collins, or Greeley.  ICG routers are
> serving multiple ISPs.  Some routers may be more heavily loaded than
> others, so maybe I can't see what you're seeing, no matter how long I
> watch it.  I expect it's similar across the other providers.

Except... that doesn't explain why ALL packets stop being passed. When ICMP
stops, then everything stops (ssh sessions, web page downloads, etc.)

> If your folks had the shell (photo ID required) access option added to
> their FRII account, you could watch the connection back to your modem and
> get a second perspective.

Yeah... 'cause a photo ID will stop all those ev1l h at x0rs.

*sigh*

Anyone remember when shell accounts were standard with your dialup and you
didn't have to get insurance to get one, PPP (oooh... or SLIP!) just
worked, modems were 28.8, there was no IE, Usenet was useful, spam was
unheard of, AOLers stayed in *their* playground, etc., etc.

(yes, that's rhetorical... I know most of you probably *do* :-)

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                 preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  Wait, stop!  We can outsmart those dolphins.  Don't forget: we invented
  computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory
  hole, *and* the pudding cup!  -- Homer Simpson, Tree House of Horror XI