[NCLUG] i don't give a toss about ISPs

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Aug 5 17:26:16 MDT 2002

Thus spake John L. Bass:
> mike wrote (don't you hate having to fix attributions?):
>>
>> 	 And that attitude really smacks those folks who haven't mastered *any*
>> 	techniques and are just trying to learn as they go. It's always been an
>> 	"anyone can play" rule-of-thumb as far as presentations go - if you feel
>> 	that the group needs some higher level of techincal guidance then by all
>> 	means, step up to the plate - but please don't belittle the people who
>> 	don't have 30+ years of experience in the field and are trying to learn
>> 	what they can.
>
> Hi Mike - that was totally unjustified ... take it up with Matt - I have offered
> several times to give technical presentations. If the NCLUG board wants to let
> Tummy.com give non-technical and low tech presentations instead, that is their
> choice. But slamming us for not wanting to sit thru them I found highly offensive,
> and simply responded to factually.

 I don't feel that I've slammed anyone. I was just pointing out, albeit
in what appears to have been a particularly oblique fashion, that by stating
that it was a waste of your time to attend a presentation about something
which you've already mastered (your words), the impression received by
those who would find the presentation valuable is that you don't care to
share any of that expertise in the context of the presentation. Kind of a
turn off, wouldn't you agree? Experience is often just as valuable as
knowledge and it's rare to get them together in the same room where a
novice can benefit.

 And believe me when I say that I speak for more than myself here - please
do some reading into RFC-1855 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html) -
it really would make it that much easier for many people to read your posts
as there's often some very good info in them, but many times it's too
painful to the eyes to read all the way through. 70-ish columns and leave
the attributions in please, it makes messages *much* easier to follow and
participate in.

--
   Mike Loseke    | One is never deceived, one deceives oneself.
 mike at verinet.com |     -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832