charter for LUG (Re: [NCLUG] i don't give a toss about ISPs)

Bob Goates bob.goates at echostar.com
Tue Aug 6 12:18:59 MDT 2002

I've been subscribed to the NCLUG list for a few years now, and have
appreciated the give and take and the occasionally useful (to me)
information on the list.  And I actually made it to one of the
meetings.  The timing and location of the meetings make it a little hard
for me to participate, though, being in Cheyenne.

John's suggestions for a local "home brew" club and something like SVNet
sound GREAT to me!  I would like to be involved with both of them.
Robotics seems like too much fun to miss out on, and even though
BattleBots isn't exactly robotics perhaps we could gradually move the
competition in that direction.  Or start another one.  And the idea of a
large group project sounds fun.

And a "Northern Colorado Network" could be really useful.  I've learned
some things during my software career that I'd like to share with
others, and I like the prospect of benefiting from the hard won usable
knowledge of others.  One thing I've learned is that the common "wisdom"
and practice of industry (and academics, possibly) is frequently just so
much bologna.  Propagating and refining more useful knowledge and
practice would be a boon to the world.  (The Network should allow plenty
of opportunity for personal and group debate to help with the "refining"
part.)

And for both groups, the meeting times should be set to accomodate
people from the Denver area, Cheyenne, and Laramie.  UW has some pretty
good engineering and software people.  And there are a few in Cheyenne,
believe it or not.

In other words, count me in, John!

Bob Goates