[NCLUG] ISP suggestions

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sat Aug 10 19:48:48 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Reifschneider" <jafo-nclug at tummy.com>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] ISP suggestions

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:26:24AM -0600, Michael Dwyer wrote:
> >You might also be able to simulate a butt set by setting ATL3M3 (or
> >whatever it is to leave the modem speaker on ALWAYS).  The noise will
> >drive you short of insane, but it is the only way I know of to detect
> >when a modem is retying...
>
> Supra used to have this modem, the SupraFax 28.8k.  The thing I liked the
> most about it was that in addition to the 4 LEDs for OH, CD, RD, SD (or
> something like that), it also had this big bit-mapped display that it
would
> display a status in.
>
> That display would rotate through a number of things telling you the
> transmit and receive rates, and most importantly would go to "RT" when it
> was re-training.  Incredibly important for telling what was going on,
> particularly when the session would hang -- is the the remote machine,
> local machine, remote network connection, oh, wait, it's my modem
> retraining...
>
> Sean

I still have one I use for occasional troubleshooting, though I recently
broke the power supply cord and need to repair it.  It can do 33.6 with an
update.  It also shows RE/TE for receive and transmit errors.  I called
Supra directly when 56K type modems started shipping and asked them to
continue this feature.  They gave it some thought, but price pressures and
cheaper Winmodems probably doomed it.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley