[NCLUG] Data Through Cellular Technology?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Aug 13 10:46:21 MDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 01:49:43PM -0600, Marcio Luis Teixeira wrote:
>Where can I find some information decent information about wireless cellular
>technology? AT&T's page (http://attws.com/) is overhyped and doesn't contain

AT&T is talking about rolling out one of the 3G technologies next year.
It's not clear what their pricing is going to be though...  We have CDPD (I
can show you it at the next Hacking Society if you're there), which is
super slow (around 1KB/sec), but does work.  Cost for that is $70/month.

CDPD coverage in Colorado is pretty good, but unless you're on one of the
coasts it's pretty bad outside of CO.  It's good for getting e-mail or
doing the emergency work, but barely useful in most cases I've found...
I'm just waiting for something else to come out that I can replace it with.

The thing I'm looking at is the new Sprint system that was just announced a
few days ago.  Sounds like it'll be 3X (144kbps as opposed to Voicestream's
1X 50kbps deployment), and cost is $40 for 20GB or $100 for unlimited.

I really like being connected wherever I should go, but CDPD is just barely
useable.  I mostly have it for emergencies.

 A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
                -- Joseph Campbell