[NCLUG] dialup on notebook

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Thu Aug 22 11:33:02 MDT 2002

I upgraded to KRUD 7.3 on my IBM Thinkpad. In the switch I also switched
PCMCIA cards to a cardbus 3com combo ehternet/modem. I had an Intel Pro
non-cardbus (16bit) combo ethernet/modem before. In my previous install
everything was found and I had the RedHat Dialup Configuration Tool and
everything was copacetic. No Tool in X this time, though wvdial and rp3
do exist on the system. Ran wvdialconf and it didn't find a modem. Rp3
(started via console as root) just lists eth0 and lo - no chance to add
a dialup connection.

My basic thought is that the PCMCIA card isn't supported fully and to
put the old one back in. What I'm wondering is if there is a simple way
to get KRUD to set it up automatically like in the previous KRUD
install. Could I do an upgrade, even though it's the same kernel and
just select dial-up system? All thoughts appreciated.

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B