[NCLUG] Setting up ad-hoc wireless?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:51:26 MDT 2002

Hi there,

I recently purchased another Lucent WaveLAN 801.11b card* and I want to set up
wireless networking in my home. The idea is that one card goes in my laptop,
the other goes in my firewall to act as an "access point." My question, is
there are good how-to's that address the specific topic of setting up
wireless networks in ad-hoc mode?

At this point I'm not particularly concerned about securing the network. In
fact, eventually I would like to set it up so people who try to get on my
network get redirected to my web page or something (A wireless home page!
Woohoo!), but that's a project for another day.

My current goal is to get it to work at all. Is it as simple as putting both
cards in ad-hoc mode and assigning them an IP address? Are there any issues
to contend with?

Marcio Luis Teixeira

* Actually, I bought six WaveLAN -- one for me, five to resell -- anyone wanna
buy one? Just $50 each :)