[NCLUG] X windows programs?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sun Aug 25 06:00:30 MDT 2002

On Sunday 25 August 2002 12:32 am, Patrick Riedel wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:45:38 -0600 (MDT)
>
> Andrew Fox <afox at cnr.colostate.edu> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap, or preferably free x
> > windows program to run on Windows 95?

In addition to the "vnc" suggestion, you have several other options:

1) Cygwin install a Linux emulation layer under Windows. This will give you
access to many UNIX programs and you can install XFree86 to allow you to run
X stuff from CSU's machines:

   http://cygwin.com/

Pros: You are able to run many Linux programs on your Windows machine; access
to a UNIX shell; no need to run a separate OS; Linux and Windows apps coexist
side by side and you can work with both at the same time.

Cons: May require a lot of disk space (though less than a full Linux
installation).

2) M/IX is a small, inexpensive X server, similar to Exceed:

   http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/

Pros: Small, easy install and download

Cons: Non-free; not entirely compatible with all X programs. Very bare-bones.

3) Download and burn a DemoLinux distribution to a CD-R (or have a friend do
it for you). These is a complete Linux distribution that you can boot
directly off a CD-ROM without having to install anything to your hard disk:

   http://www.demolinux.org/

Pros: Great way to try out Linux; absolutely no software to install to your
hard disk; you can take the CD from machine to machine and have
"Linux-on-the-go".

Cons: Requires you to download 650Mbs and burn it to a CD-R. May not work on
all machines -- if it fails to boot on yours, you're out of luck; Requires
64MBs of RAM.

>  If I were to install Linux on this PC does
> > anyone know if it would it work with AT&T broadband?

Yes. I use AT&T broadband with Linux. The only caveat is your cable modem. If
it has an 10BaseT jack, you should be ok, since no drivers are needed on the
Linux box. If you have an USB cable modem, then things might be more
difficult since you need an appropriate driver for Linux (I don't know
whether Linux supports USB cable modems or not).

Marcio Luis Teixeira