[NCLUG] blocking internet access to local machine

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Mon Dec 2 11:22:07 MST 2002

Actually that trashes the lan traffic too.  To do it with firewall
rules would require explicitly accepting the local subnet on eth0,
and having a default DENY/REJECT for all other ip's.

simply removing the default route/gateway is easier in most cases,
since the machine can not reply to any host outside the local subnet.
In redhat that generally means editing /etc/sysconfig/network
or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and removing the
GATEWAY line, or using the GUI tool to do so.

John

	From: "Jesse Courchaine" <JCourcha at Colostate.Edu>

	Actually that won't work with eth0, you would have to do

	/sbin/iptables -i eth0 -A INPUT -j REJECT
	/sbin/iptables -i eth0 -A OUTPUT -j REJECT

	-Jesse