[NCLUG] kernel compile

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Wed Dec 4 05:31:30 MST 2002

vijay prince wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile my kernel on a Suse box. one
> online help asked me to follow the following steps.
>
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
> reboot

There's a few steps you are missing.

1) Don't just copy bzImage to /boot, rename it to something useful, like
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20".  You should also copy over the System.map file
to /boot and name it with the same extension (e.g.,
/boot/System.map-2.4.20).

2) You must (re)configure your boot loader (perhaps LILO, perhaps GRUB)
to know about the new kernel.  That's the main reason to name your
kernel binary something useful.

3) Try reading /usr/doc/howto/en/Kernel-HOWTO.gz

> I am currently doing these commands from
> /usr/src/linux/. The problem i am having is, when i do
> a "make bzImage" i get a message saying that there are
> no rules to do that command. The Makefile does not
> have this option. can anyone help me in fixing this
> problem.

Hmm, all recent kernel sources support that.  Something is broken.  I'd
suggest fetching a fresh tarball from http://kernel.org/, or better yet,
re-install the kernel source RPM you have (or can get) from SuSE.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan  --  Free Agent  --  milli at acmeps.com