[NCLUG] latest pricing for cwx equipment

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Fri Dec 20 12:54:59 MST 2002

Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> * On 2002-12-20 18:20 dherr at frii.com <dherr at frii.com> wrote:
>
>>What's the latest scoop on the pricing for the least expensive
>>CWX compatible wireless rig?  Last time I asked, I seem to remember
>>it being roughly $600-$800.  Is that still the case?
>
> Isn't this something that someone from CWX would be better equipped to
> answer than someone from NCLUG?

That may be true.  But I am interested in knowing the answer, too.

Can we lose the list-nazi stuff that's been going on and just appreciate
that this list seems to be for the discussion of things that might be of
interest to linux users in the NECO.CO.US area? --including broadband
options?

I suspect that a fair number of CWX users are also members of this list.
  Indeed, I believe that the founder of CWX is a member of this list.
Really, asking the question to the NCLUG list makes a whole lot more
sense than asking it of the singular info@ address.

Hell, we ought to have a 'State of the Bandwidth Address' every year:
  o Qwest has installed no new remote DSL terminals in FCL this year.
If you couldn't get DSL before, you probably still can't.  Seems to be
the same with New Edge Networks.
  o CWX is still an option, and the equipment prices have fallen.
  o SprintPCS's 3G service is $99/mo to run a PCMCIA card at up to
155kb, though 50kb is more realistic.  Nice mobile option, though.
  o Satellite is still Windows Only, though some hacks may exist.
  o AT&T cable modems work very well, the upstream cap was moved to
256k, and they are marketing an uncapped version.  Prices have gone up
for modem owners, but stayed the same for modem leasors.
  o Dialup is pretty much unchanged.
  o There are hints of other wireless networks opening soon - within
6mo, but I haven't heard anything else.  Ricochet? SprintBroadband?
WiFi? Dunno...