[NCLUG] latest pricing for cwx equipment

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Dec 26 07:04:39 MST 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 02:56:22PM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
> o DSL: I strongly suggest that you go through FRII for your DSL
>service, though Qwest/MSN is often cheaper. FRII is often able to

One point to make about Qwest is that they are flat-rate, where FRII is
metered...  Qwest is $15/month for 5 static IPs, but you have to get
them in blocks of 5.  FRII is, IIRC, $5/month for a small static block,
but can provide bigger blocks if you can justify it.

>Wells Fargo bank -- is the main switch, the other one is (I think) at
>the corner of Harmony and College).

The south switch is just south of Harmony on College.

> o SprintPCS's 3G service on a laptop PCMCIA card is $99/mo at up to
>155kb/s, though 50kb/s is more realistic.  Modem card is $250.  Service is
>fair through Fort Collins.

$99/month rate is flat-rate.  My usage seems to indicate more like
64kbps to 112kbps for realistic speeds.  I've done multi-hour uploads
that MRTG showed a rate of around 7.5KB/sec, or 60kbps.  For downloads
it seems to hop around between 9KB/sec and 14KB/sec.

The big killer here is latency, which averages around half a second.

In comparison, the coffee shop on Harmony out towards HP (Mocha Joe?)
has single-channel ISDN, and the performance of the Sprint card seems to
be much better with 2 people using it than the ISDN line did the time we
were there.

 Problem with Closed Source Software #101: "We have found 46 ways to
 remotely crash NT by sending authentication packets."