[NCLUG] Re: [NCLUG] Re: Fwd: Re: possible Qwest protest action in Colorado

Mark Fassler fassler at monkeysoft.net
Wed Jan 2 18:43:55 MST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 06:36:34PM +0000, Daniel Miles wrote:

>  ... what is wrong with a coder who wants to be paid for his work?
>
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:25:47 -0700 (MST)
> Charles Clarke <clarke at clarkecomputer.com> wrote:
>
> > ... (though I'm not sure Stallman is anti-programmer, just against
> > people creating programs and SELLING them to the masses. :-)

These are incorrect assumptions.  No one ever said that there's anything
wrong with selling software or making money.  Even RMS charges a lot of
money for consulting.  Also, I believe the GNU CD's cost thousands of
dollars.

It's the restriction of freedom that they're against.  (eg, restricting
the end-user from lending the CD to his neighbor so that his neighbor can
run a copy of Linux, too.)

Unfortunately, when you give the masses that kind of freedom, it becomes
difficult to make money.

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at monkeysoft.net