totally unrelated to::Re: [NCLUG] Re: [NCLUG] Re: Fwd: Re: possible Qwest protest action in Colorado

Larry Butler larry_butler at hp.com
Thu Jan 3 17:16:02 MST 2002

I spoke with him for about 10 minutes at the 1998 Linux Expo.  He stroked
and seemed to pick things out of his hair the entire time.  I say "seemed"
because I didn't see anything actually in his hair.  He just picked at it.

It was interesting though to put a face (and a personality) to a person who's
code I liked to read so much.  I remember reading GNU Make source and
thinking it was so dense (i.e. it does a lot in a few lines), but was still
completely lucid.

It's funny.  If you go to school to study art, architecture, music, probably
even law, you'll spend a lot of time contemplating works that are recognized
to be the best.  If you go to study computer science you'll contemplate some
examples out of a textbook of maybe something your professor wrote - all
contrived examples.  Not real, and not written by the best.  Not unless you
look for it on your own.  And even if you do, you'll come across a lot of
crap.  I guess counter examples can be good too.

Larry