[NCLUG] [BLUGMETA] CO-SAGE meeting of interest (fwd)

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon Jan 7 17:28:26 MST 2002

------- Forwarded Message
From: Leonard Sitongia <sitongia at cgd.ucar.edu>
To: meta at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: [BLUGMETA] CO-SAGE meeting of interest

Hi, I thought I'd send this annoucement along to see if you think
it's worth sending to your groups.  Thanks for your time.

The CO-SAGE meeting for January will feature Duane Wessels, author
of the O'Reilly book "Web Caching".

Wednesday, January 9th
6:30pm
Level 3
For directions, see our web site:
http://www.co-sage.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1

Duane Wessels on the Squid Web Cache Proxy

        Squid is an open-source web caching proxy, and probably
        the most widely deployed caching product on the Internet.
        In addition to reducing your bandwidth and latency for
        Web pages, Squid also has many other useful features.
        We'll talk about using Squid to:
                - remove web advertisements
                - restrict employee's surfing activities
                - protect web servers from viruses
                - implement traffic shaping
        I'll also talk about optimizing Squid's performance
        on Linux and BSD-based systems.

About Duane

        Duane Wessels discovered Unix and the Internet as an
        undergraduate student studying physics at Washington State
        University.   After playing System Administrator for a
        few years, he moved to Boulder, Colorado to attend graduate
        school.

        In late 1994, he joined the Harvest project, where he worked
        on searching, indexing and caching.  From 1996 until 2000,
        he was co-principle investigator of the NLANR Information
        Resource Caching project (IRCache).  During this time he
        and others developed and supported the Squid caching proxy.

        In 1999, his team organized the first ``Cache-Off,'' a
        performance benchmarking event for caching proxies.
        Currently, he is co-owner and president of The Measurement
        Factory, Inc., a company that specializes in evaluating
        the performance and behavior of HTTP-aware devices.

==Leonard
Colorado Systems Administrator's Guild, executive group